Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Moving Beyond...



I have had Photoshop CS2 for about four years now. Before this past month, I have not used it beyond opening a photo and then closing it immediately. Photoshop can be very intimidating. There are volumes of books, expensive classes and courses to expain this program bit by bit. Tutorials on the web probably number in the millions (a random, but probably pretty accurate, guess). I am instruction-phobic. Yes, I am one of those who just want to automatically know how to do / work it. Now. Right this second. Actually, yesterday. Does it require more than a one page explanation? Not interested.

In addition to the intimidating, overwhelming, massive, yet awesome program that has already been mentioned, I have an incredible Canon DSL camera which is about six years old. It too has many fascinating features (or so I have been told). There are buttons and screens with a multitude of options; however, I have not turned the dial beyond auto, with the occasional exception of using the "running-guy-which-tells-me-I-can-take-really-cool-fast-movement-photos-of-the-kids" mode. The lens I used exclusively was the one that came on the camera. I was actually terrified to take it off and change it a few months ago when I finally got a new one. Why? Intimidation? Avoidance? Not understanding the foreign language in the manual? All of the above? Check. Ding-ding-ding! Right answer!

This right answer eventually became a really pathetic excuse. I have been taking pictures (almost obsessively) since my age was in the single digits. I no longer wanted to rely on my camera. I wanted control. I wanted to take pictures and have them be able to turn out the way I see the image in my mind most of the time. I wanted the image on purpose, not just by accident. I wanted to be able to fix the imperfections in an otherwise great picture. You know, the dark under eye circles, the random fever blister that won't go away, the dog run line across the otherwise beautiful shot of the snow-covered yard. I decided to get to work. Canon Rebel for Dummies. Check. New telephoto lens. Check. Awesome online tutorials on simple Photoshop techniques that make a huge difference. Check. Reading, studying and having the patience and persitance to learn and put it into practice. Check. It's only the beginning. Here's to one step at a time, moving beyond the comfort zone. Try it! The results are amazing!

No comments: